Find Peace & Balance with an Online Meditation Course
The go-to resource for planning unforgettable travel experiences. Find all you need to know about the top destinations and enrich your life through travel.
Discover Holidays now
In need of some “me time”? Meditation has gained popularity over the last years, and with good reason. In these fast-paced and noisy times, it offers a moment of silence and a powerful soul searching tool.
These days, it’s perhaps more important than ever to turn inward. Meditation can help you adapt, cope with life’s challenges, improve your self-esteem, find harmony, and connect with your authentic self.
However, many people still struggle with it. It’s so easy to get distracted and for your mind to wander off. This is where guided meditation comes in. And now, you can join an online meditation course from the comfort and safety of your own home.
Want to learn more about these virtual classes? Read on and find out what are the benefits of online meditation courses and how they work:
Reasons to join an online meditation course
Meditation has many astounding, science-backed benefits. Anxiety and stress relief, improved symptoms of depression, better sleep, reduced pain, boosting memory, creativity, and physical performance, and a generally positive outlook on life are just a few. In addition to these, online meditation courses have a few extra advantages.
If you’re unable to travel right now, have a busy schedule, or have other constraints, you can join a virtual meditation program from the comfort of your own home or anywhere you are at the moment. There’s no need to travel or commute, take time off work, or alter your schedule too much. All you need to do is set aside sometime during the day to attend the live stream sessions.
The classes can be accessed from any device. You are one click (or tap) away from the teacher.
Regardless of your experience, whether you’ve never meditated before, you’d like to take control of your emotions, integrate mindfulness into your everyday life, give yourself some self-love, or find your balance and peace, there’s an online meditation program that suits your needs.
You can either opt for a standalone online meditation course that can stretch over the course of a few days or weeks, or you can join an online yoga and meditation retreat. The latter is a virtual experience focused on yoga and meditation, but can sometimes go beyond that. Some retreats include Pranayama, mantra chanting, stress management, spiritual healing, transformational coaching, as well as other relaxation techniques or activities.
Since you don’t need to spend money on transportation, accommodation, or food, online meditation courses are a budget-friendly option. Virtual yoga and meditation retreats are more affordable than having to attend them in person.
In addition, such an experience might prove even more comfortable and effective. Since you’ll be participating from the intimacy of your home, you might feel more at ease to open up and face your emotions.
If you’re worried that not being physically close to the teacher and other participants might make you feel disconnected, these programs strive to create a sense of community through open philosophical discussions and live sharing circles. Furthermore, some courses also offer one-on-one sessions in which you’ll receive personalized advice and/or tuition.
How do online meditation courses work?
The online meditation courses are held via live video sessions using platforms such as Zoom, Skype, Facetime, WhatsApp, Google Hangouts, or others. The teacher will let you know which platform you’ll be using. In some cases, you might be able to choose the one that’s more convenient for you.
Depending on the program, you may attend online sessions on a daily basis or less frequently. If you join an online yoga and meditation retreat, there might be several classes at different times during the day. On a virtual meditation retreat, you’ll receive a sample schedule of how your days should look like, from eating habits and sleep patterns to journaling, accountability, and exercise in order to promote both physical and spiritual healing.
If you cannot attend a certain live session, you can request the video link. Most of the time, the videos are recorded so that you can watch them later.
Some courses also include pre-recorded videos, reading materials, and other self-study resources that you can access any time and return to even after you’ve completed the program. Furthermore, some also offer support via email or call throughout the duration of the course.
Useful tips to make the most of the virtual meditation sessions
If you’re ready to search within yourself on an online meditation course, here are some useful tips to help you make the most of the experience:
- First and foremost, you should have a reliable internet connection to join the live stream courses.
- Install the video conferencing platform (the teacher will let you know which one you’ll use) on your computer/laptop/phone/tablet/smart TV prior to the course.
- Make sure you are not disturbed. Avoid any distractions during the classes. Snooze notifications and calls on your phone. Also, let the others in the household know that you’ll need some quiet time for yourself.
- Set up a peaceful and comfortable space from which to attend the classes. If you don’t already have a Zen corner in your home, now’s probably a good time to create one. It should be a well-ventilated, uncluttered place with warm colors, soft natural light, a cozy chair or sofa, some pillows, flowers, green plants, and scents. If you’re joining an online yoga and meditation retreat, you could benefit from a yoga mat, props like a couple of blocks and a strap, and enough room to strike your asanas.
- Be mindful of the time zones. Remember that some teachers might be based halfway around the globe and that the classes will be held at certain times during the day (although some can be flexible with the time slots). Make sure their program fits your own schedule and time zone. You shouldn’t squeeze in a class when you know you’re short on time. Meditation mustn’t be rushed.
- Prepare yourself before the online meditation sessions. Get comfortable, relax, clear your mind, and open yourself to the experience.
Prefer to experience an in-person meditation course? Be sure to check out our vast selection of meditation retreats!